Winter Games: 900 soldiers replace withdrawn security guards after Norovirus outbreak



    Winter Games: 900 soldiers replace withdrawn security guards after Norovirus outbreak

    Feb 6, Seoul: Tonnes of Private security guards at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics in South Korea have been taken to hospital with norovirus, prompting organisers to call in soldiers as guards instead.

    According to reports. some 1,200 of the guards have been withdrawn from Olympic sites, with 41 having reported symptoms.Hand sanitiser has now been distributed and the head of the organising committee has apologised.

    Games spokesman Christophe Dubi said that measures had been put in place to avoid a further outbreak of the highly contagious virus."Very stringent measures are in place when it comes to food and beverages," he said. "As soon as a case is reported then all the area gets disinfected," he added.
    Dozens of private security guards at the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics in South Korea have been taken to hospital with norovirus, prompting organisers to call in soldiers as guards instead.

    Vomiting and diarrhoea hit the security staff on Sunday.

    Some 1,200 of the guards have been withdrawn from Olympic sites, with 41 having reported symptoms.

    Hand sanitiser has now been distributed and the head of the organising committee has apologised.

    The Pyeongchang Games are due to start on Friday.

    Q&A: What is the norovirus?
    Winter Olympics: Day-by-day guide
    Games spokesman Christophe Dubi said that measures had been put in place to avoid a further outbreak of the highly contagious virus.

    "Very stringent measures are in place when it comes to food and beverages," he said. "As soon as a case is reported then all the area gets disinfected," he added.



    Media captionThe norovirus is "very easy to spread rapidly through shared facilities," virologist tells Radio 4's World at One

    The withdrawn security staff have been replaced by 900 soldiers.The president of the organising committee of the Games, Lee Hee-beom, said all venues were being used for training, and athletes were settling in to their accommodation.

    "I would like to apologise for this," he said. "Our disease control centre [and] other related government agencies here are now discussing countermeasures."

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts