Two suspected FARC fighters killed in Colombia



    Two suspected FARC fighters killed in Colombia

    Nov.17, Bolivar: Two suspected fighters belonging to the FARC have been killed in combat with security forces, just four days after a new peace deal was signed to end a half century of fighting.

    The fighters were killed in combat - with a third one surrendering - in Colombia's northern Bolivar province when they left their pre-determined zone carrying weapons, the military said on Wednesday.

    "Fighting took place in the south of the Bolivar department, and guerrillas who claimed to belong to the FARC were killed," Humberto de la Calle, the government's chief peace negotiator, told Caracol television.

    "The defence ministry holds that there was an illegal operation there."

    Al Jazeera's Alessandro Rampietti, reporting from Bogota, said the soldiers were tipped off by the local community.

    "Colombian army says that the soldiers were tipped off by the local community who told them that armed men were operating in the region extorting money," he said.

    Colombia's government and the FARC, or the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, signed a peace accord in September that was rejected in a plebiscite last month.

    The two sides finalised a revised deal over the weekend that aims to end 52 years of conflict that has killed more than 220,000 people and displaced millions.

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts