Turkey detains some 6,000 people over coup bid: Minister



    Turkey detains some 6,000 people over coup bid: Minister

    July 17, Ankara: Turkish Minister Bekir Bozdag says Turkey has so far detained 6,000 people over Friday's failed coup.

    Justice Minister Bozdag told the state media: "The clean-up operations are continuing." He added that the number of arrests will rise further. The sweep has included high-ranking soldiers and judges. More than 50 senior soldiers were detained in the western province of Denizli on Sunday.

    At least 265 people were killed in clashes as the coup failed.

    Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says parliament might consider a proposal to introduce the death penalty. He has accused a US-based Turkish cleric, Fethullah Gulen of being behind the plot, which Mr Gulen denies.

    The attempted coup began on Friday night when a faction of the military took over key bridges in Istanbul and attacked parliament buildings in Ankara.

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts