South Korea confirms first Zika case
March 22, Seoul: South Korea has confirmed its first case of the Zika virus, in a man who had recently returned from Brazil, local media reports said.
The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention said the 43-year-old was diagnosed with the virus and and was being treated in Gwangju city.
South Korea said that the infected man had been quarantined and his movements tracked since returning home, according to the Yonhap news agency.
Zika, a mosquito-borne virus, has been declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organization.
It has spread rapidly in Brazil and the Americas, and is suspected of causing birth defects.
But WHO experts caution the link between the virus and microcephaly - in which babies are born with underdeveloped heads - is not yet proven.