Scandinavian airlines, Norwegian left in confusion by Trump's travel ban



    Scandinavian airlines, Norwegian left in confusion by Trump's travel ban

    Feb.6, Oslo: Scandinavian airlines SAS and Norwegian have not taken a definite position on passengers from countries affected by US President Donald Trump's now-suspended travel ban.

    Airline industry body IATA has informed SAS that the judge's ruling lifting the ban is valid, according to the news agency Ritzau.

    But SAS is still advising passengers affected by the ruling to contact US embassies. "It is the American authorities that have the final say on whether someone can board a plane to the USA," SAS director of communication Karin Nyman told news agency TT.

    Earlier on Saturday, a number of airlines - including Qatar Airways, Lufthansa, Iberia and Air France - announced that they would allow passengers from the seven countries affected by Trump's executive order to board their planes.

    The New York Times reports that all airlines were informed on Friday that they could begin taking on board passengers from the countries in question - Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

    But low-cost airline Norwegian says that "certain ambiguities" regarding the rules remain, and that passengers are therefore advised to contact US embassies if they are in doubt.

    Trump's executive order, which was signed on January 27th, implemented an immediate travel ban for all nationals of the seven predominantly Muslim countries.

    The decree created chaos at airports across the world as uncertainty grew about the exact nature of the ban. Public protests against the measure were held across the United States.

    A federal judge in Seattle has now halted the executive order on the grounds that it violates the US Constitution.

    The Oslo Times International News Network 

     
     

    Related Posts