Pakistan contaminated sweets kill 23



    Pakistan contaminated sweets kill 23

    April 25, Islamabad: At least 23 people have died from eating contaminated sweets in central Pakistan. The deaths began last week after a man in Punjab province bought the treats to celebrate the birth of his son, according to police.

    Police have arrested two owners of a local sweetshop and one of their employees while the source of the contamination is investigated.

    Officials suspect pesticide from a store next to the shop may accidentally have found its way into the laddoos - ball-shaped sweets popular at special occasions.

    Laboratory tests are being carried out after police reportedly found sachets of pesticide inside the sweet shop.
    Brothers dead

    The sweets were bought by Sajjad Hussain, a villager in Layyah district near Multan, after the birth of his son on 19 April, police spokesman Irfan Faiz said, BBC reported.

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts