Over 700 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean shipwrecks



    Over 700 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean shipwrecks

    May 29, Athens: Over 700 migrants are feared dead in three Mediterranean Sea shipwrecks south of Italy in the last few days as they tried desperately to reach Europe in unseaworthy smuggling boats, the UN refugee agency said.

    The boats sank south of Italy on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday as the migrants tried to reach Europe in unseaworthy vessels.

    Carlotta Sami, spokeswoman for UNHCR, told The Associated Press by phone that an estimated 100 people are missing from a smugglers' boat that capsized Wednesday. The Italian navy took horrific pictures of that capsizing even as it rushed to rescue all those thrown into the sea from the boat.

    Spring weather has led to a surge of people attempting the perilous crossing from Africa to Europe.

    Meanwhile, the MSF Sea group suggested the death toll from the last week could be as high as 900.

    Survivors are being taken to the Italian ports of Taranto and Pozzallo

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts