Nigeria rescues 5,000 people from Boko Haram in Borno
June 26, Abuja: The Nigerian army has rescued more than 5,000 people who were being held hostage by Boko Haram. Those rescued were mostly women and children, Nigerian army said.
The move came as per a clearing operation in four remote villages in the northeastern Borno state.
Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman, army spokesman said: "Our troops have decisively dealt with the Boko Haram terrorists, particularly hibernating in Sambisa forest, which used to be their stronghold."
The soldiers evacuated the villages of Zangebe, Maiwa, Algaiti and Mainari, the army said in a statement.
The statement added that the fighting led to the killing of one civilian and six Boko Haram fighters.
The women and children had been living under Boko Haram for more than six years, since the armed group launched its violent campaign in 2009.
The army also reported that two other Boko Haram fighters were killed in a separate mission to 11 villages in Borno.
Boko Haram pledged support for the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) last year.
The Nigeria-based group's armed campaign, which has spread into neighbouring countries, has killed more than 20,000 people and driven some 2.5 million from their homes.
The Oslo Times International News Network