Iraq: Worst bombing since 2003 with 250 deaths



    Iraq: Worst bombing since 2003 with 250 deaths

    July 6, Baghdad: The Iraqi government has announced that the death toll from Sunday's suicide bombing in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, has risen to 250, making it the deadliest such attack since the 2003 US-led invasion.

    A lorry packed with explosives was detonated in the Karrada district while families were shopping for the holiday marking the end of Ramadan, reports said.

    An earlier estimate for the attack had put the toll at 165. After the bombing, Iraq remains under an official state of mourning.
    So-called Islamic State (IS) has said it carried out the suicide attack.

    The destruction of the area was all but complete. Bewildered local residents have held candlelight vigils and prayed for peace.

    Scores of people were also injured but most have been released from hospital, according to the Iraqi health ministry.

    The ministry said those critically injured had been sent abroad, without giving further details.

    The bombing in a mostly Shia Muslim area just after midnight came a week after Iraqi forces had recaptured the city of Falluja from IS, BBC reported.

    The Oslo Times International News Network

     
     

    Related Posts