Boko Haram: Nigeria's Bomb blasts victims seek probe over support Fund



    1454093731394.jpg By Mohammad Ibrahim
    Boko Haram: Nigeria's Bomb blasts victims seek probe over   support Fund Many Nigerians sustained injuries following Boko Haram attacks in Northeast

    Oct 1,Kaduna : Bomb Victims Association of Nigeria called on the Federal government to open an inquiry into the status of the Victims Support Fund (VSF) established in July 2014. They claimed that many of the victims have lost their lives due to inability to pay medical bills for the life threatening injuries sustained as a result of bomb blast carried out by Boko Haram across the country.

    Boko Haram crisis displaced over 2 million people and many lost their lives since 2009 when the crisis began in Borno state Northeastern Nigeria. In a statement signed by Chairman of the victims, Olatunji Kayode Oladele frowned at the manners government and civil society group focuses attention only on Chibok girls and displaced persons while forgetting about Victims of bomb blasts.

    " On behalf of the Board of Trustees of Bomb Victims Association of Nigeria, I write in the interest of the victims of Boko Haram insurgency to bemoan the neglect by the Federal Government of all those who survived the insurgency with life threatening injuries while all attention of Government is directed to the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and the Chibok girls alone! "We the neglected victims of bomb blasts are survivors living with unspeakable injuries sustained at various bombings which occurred at different locations and states in the northern part of Nigeria starting from the 1st of October 2010. "As a result of the prolonged neglect of the victims of these bomb blasts across

    Northern Nigeria, some of us who initially survived the bombings have died, many due to little or no medical care and others as a result of their inability to cope with their medical bills or further their treatment here in Nigeria or abroad,"he said. The group further listed some demands which they would like the government to implement for them that include "That the present administration under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari open up an inquiry into the status of the Victims Support Fund (VSF) established in July 2014 and ascertain the whereabouts of the over N58.9 billion naira raised for the support of victims.

    " That, in cases where these funds had been disbursed, that those members of the committee give an account on such disbursements, also furnishing such details as whom the funds were spent on and the criteria with which such were chosen; " That a framework be set up to make this N58.9 billion naira available to real victims of bomb blasts many of whom are in dire need of medical attention and means of livelihood;

    "That the Bomb Victims Association of Nigeria, which has its members as actual victims of bomb blasts, be included in the management of the Victims Support Fund (VSF) in order to gain access to funding; and be members in all governmental committees and programme to drive support in our interest. "We advocate the government support to setup medical facilities to counsel and rehabilitate traumatized victims to help recuperate and reintegrate them back to the society. . "That President Muhammadu Buhari continue to attack insurgents and curb their terror attacks, even ending it once and for all so that no more deaths or victims will arise from bomb blasts anywhere in Nigeria," he said.

    The Oslo Times International News Network