Azerbaijan announces ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh



    Azerbaijan announces ceasefire in Nagorno-Karabakh

    April 3, Baku: Azerbaijan has announced a "unilateral ceasefire" in fighting with Armenian forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, local media reported.

    Firing and the clashes left 30 soldiers dead and caused civilian casualties.

    A defence ministry spokesman said the Azeris were acting in response to international calls to halt violence.

    Nagorno-Karabakh has been in the hands of ethnic-Armenian separatists since a war that ended in 1994.

    The defence ministry in a statement said, "Azerbaijan, showing good will, has decided to unilaterally cease hostilities." It warned it would strike back if its forces came under attack.

    Meanwhile reports from Armenia said two Karabakh soldiers had been injured in the fighting on Sunday.

    Earlier, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said he backed Azerbaijan "to the end" in the clashes.

    On Saturday Armenia said 18 ethnic-Armenian troops died, while Azerbaijan said it had lost 12 troops. The Karabakh defence ministry said a 12-year-old boy had been killed and two other children injured.

    Each side blamed the other for breaking the ceasefire. Azerbaijan said its forces had taken over two strategic hills and a village but lost a helicopter.

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts