Australian government warns against travel to Ankara and Istanbul



    Australian government warns against travel to Ankara and Istanbul

    March 31, Canberra: The Australian government on Thursday warned its citizens against traveling to the Turkish cities of Ankara and Istanbul because of the terrorist threat, media reports said.

    Foreign Minister Julie Bishop announced on Thursday that the heightened travel warnings followed the deaths of more than 80 people in four separate suicide bombings in the two cities this year.

    Australians are advised to "reconsider your need to travel" to the cities — the second-highest danger warning on a four-tier scale.

    Bishop said in a statement said that, "Terrorist groups continue to threaten further attacks, including targeting tourists and westerners."

    Provinces of Batman, Bingol, Bitlis, Gaziantep, Hakkari, Hatay, Kilis, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Siirt, Sirnak, Tunceli and Van had previously carried the same travel warning, reports said.

    Turkey overall carries Australia's second-lowest travel warning, although Australians are advised not to go within 10 kilometers (six miles) of the Syrian border.

    The warning comes as thousands of Australians prepare to travel to Turkey's Gallipoli Peninsula to commemorate the anniversary of the landing of
    Australian and New Zealand Army Corps troops in an ill-fated invasion on April 25, 1915, during World War I.

    The Oslo Times

     
     

    Related Posts