At least 30 killed in Nagorno-Karabakh clashes
April 3, Baku: At least 30 soldiers have been killed in fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces in the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, officials of both countries said, each blaming the other for violence, according to media reports.
Azerbaijan said in a statement on Saturday that Armenian forces had killed 12 of its soldiers and shot down a helicopter in the fighting, which broke out overnight.
Armenian President Serzh Sarkisian said that 18 of his country's soldiers had been killed and 35 wounded, not specifying if the soldiers belonged to Yerevan-backed separatist forces in Karabakh or Armenia's armed forces, AL Jazeera reported.
Armenian Defence Ministry spokesperson Artsrun Hovhannisyan said on Facebook that, "Active combat is currently under way."
He said, "The Armenian Army has launched a counter-attack. There are victims on both sides but the opposing side has sustained huge losses in manpower and equipment. An [Azerbaijani] helicopter has been shot down."
Azerbaijan said its forces had taken "two strategic heights and a village" in Karabakh, reports said.
The Armenian Defence Ministry said Azerbaijani troops started an offensive with tanks and artillery. Azerbaijan denied those allegations, saying its soldiers were reacting to heavy attacks from the Armenian side.
The Oslo Times